The Wrigley mansion in Chicago’s Lincoln Park was owned by the William Wrigley, Jr. family as one of their five mansions ranging from coast to coast. The family initially spent a good deal of time in Chicago as it was the corporate headquarters of the William Wrigley Jr. Company, which he founded in 1891.
In Chicago, the Wrigley family lived in Lincoln Park in a mansion they purchased in 1911, which is referred to today as the Theurer-Wrigley mansion. It was originally designed by architect Richard Schmidt in Italian Renaissance-style and built in 1896 for brewer Joseph Theurer. The exterior is covered in an unusual ornate baroque terra cotta that appealed so much to Wrigley that he also had it used on The Wrigley Building. After Wrigley’s death, the mansion sat empty for several decades. In 1984, the city seriously entertained the idea of buying it as the official residence of the mayor of Chicago, but the plan fell through and it was eventually purchased by a prominent attorney who now has it for sale.
At 15,000 square feet, the mansion contains nine bedrooms and nine baths including those in the three-story coach house with its two apartments. One of the most dramatic features of the house is the large elevated ballroom with bandstand and walk-in cedar coatroom. All rooms are large and intricately detailed with a marble entrance, mosaic work, a grand cherry staircase and rooms have Baroque ornamentation on the ceilings and walls. There is a pub with wine cellar and a walk-in safe which was used during prohibition to store alcohol. Exotic woods were used throughout such as mahogany, cherry and bird's eye maple. Also included is a library and garden room. The mansion has views across Lincoln Park to Lake Michigan.
One of Chicago’s most elegant mansions, the home of William Wrigley, Jr., founder of the William Wrigley Jr. Company chewing gum empire, is for sale. Priced at $8.695 million, the property is listed by Mary Bennett of Berkshire Hathaway.
For More Information