In 1927, President Calvin Coolidge decided it was time to repair the leaking roof in the attic storage area on the roof of the White House. But instead of just repairing the roof, he decided to turn the attic into a full third floor that would house seven servants in private bedrooms with additional space for storage. A steel frame structure was added to the original 1800’s brick and mortar roof, which weight was partly blamed for the dangerous weakening of the entire main building by 1950, requiring a total gutting of the interior during the Truman administration.
While the third floor was being constructed, President and Mrs. Coolidge needed a place to live. Eleanor Patterson, who would later become editor of the “Washington Times-Herald,” offered the Coolidges her elegant mansion on Dupont Circle as a temporary home for the six months it would take to construct the White House’s third floor. It was noted that during their residence in the mansion, Charles Lindbergh was a guest soon after his historic transatlantic flight.
Years later, Patterson left the mansion to the Red Cross. It was later purchased by The Washington Club, a private womens social club. The club has owned the mansion since 1951, but due to declining membership, has found it difficult to maintain the property and have put it on the market.
Built in 1901, the 36,470-square-foot, four-story white marble and brick residence at 15 Dupont Circle is situated on a one-third acre lot, located on the corner of Dupont Circle and P Street. It was designed by architect Stanford White and is the last of the elegant grand mansions that lined Dupont Circle at the turn of the century.
The historic Patterson mansion, representing Washington, D.C.’s Golden Age, now for sale at $26 million.