Maryland TB Sanatorium!
Built circa 1908, what is now an elegant and gracious stone home on over 11 acres has quite a remarkable history. Located near Camp David, looking out over the lawns at the views from its heights in the Catoctin Mountains of Maryland, it’s hard to believe that this property was once part of the first Maryland State Tuberculosis Sanitorium. Though the actual sanitorium is behind a hill from this structure and is now operating as Victor Cullen School, this building is the original power plant, referred to as the Power House, that operated coal turbines supplying the sanatorium and housed the laundry facilities and offices. In fact, a branch railroad line of the mainline made it possible for coal cars to be directed to and under the plant to deposit the coal used to fuel the turbines. Today, the trestle part of the rail line is used as a pergola with patio and the plant itself has morphed into a fabulous home, retaining all its Renaissance Revival style. Rooms are large and airy with high ceilings. It contains 5 bedroom, 4 baths and formal rooms within its 3 stories. As noted by the Historical Home Team, is is also suitable for a conference center, retreat, winery, inn, and the possibilities are only limited by one’s imagination.
Maryland’s first state tuberculosis sanitorium power plant, now transformed into an elegant estate. Priced at $1,199,000.